Saturday, March 14, 2020

Metro-Cross (Arcade 1985)

Does dodging giant soda cans on a skateboard appeal to you? Because it totally should. If it doesn’t than I’m not sure I should even be talking to you. Metro-Cross is an odd arcade game released by Namco in the awkward years of arcades between the mid-80s crash and the rise of games like Street Fighter 2. It’s a game that has such a rad 80s quality to it that I can’t believe it was made in Japan instead of California. The presentation reminds me of Smash TV, but it is actually a few years older. I’m completely confused by it, but I can’t deny that it is a lot of fun. 
(Just like in the real world!)

In Metro-Cross you play as a large chinned man trying to finish a running course before time runs out. If you don’t make it in time you are electrocuted. In your way are obstacles such as giant soda cans, hurdles, and chess pieces which I’m not good enough at the game to see. The game never really explains why you are doing this, but perhaps it’s better left to the imagination. It’s probably a boring old futuristic dystopia. The game is mostly about controlling speed and timing jumps, because the runner never completely stops running. All the time that is saved up is used for the more difficult fourth level in the cycle. 
(Being a winner is exhausting)

This game is just the right kind of arcade game for me. Every time I play it I get a little better. The time saving aspect means that I am always looking for ways to shave off a couple more seconds every time I replay a round. There are also sneaky ways in the levels to get more points like kicking cans and riding skateboards. It feels like a game that I could play all day.

I am currently playing it on Namco Museum Vol. 5 for Playstation. I can’t believe that it took them until the fifth volume to release this one. Namco always wanted to put a few good ones on each disc, but this is some marquee gaming. It belongs on volume one for sure. Now, since this is my first entry I am not going to be able to rank it, but it’s one that will always remain in good standing. I think the Namco Museum games are only six dollars on the PSN store, and Metro-Cross itself is worth the price of admission.

Next time: I have my first ranking dilemma as I play another underrated Namco arcade game with a dash in the title  

No comments:

Post a Comment