Monday, May 3, 2021

Nintendo 64 #1: Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000

Developer: Acclaim

Publisher: Acclaim

Release Date: 2-28-2000


 (Even the washed out cover is boring)

I always like to start reviewing a new console with the most boring, nondescript game possible so I am going with Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000. Honestly the ones I get to first are usually ones I bought recently and and am trying out, so this is a fairly new addition to my collection and one I am currently playing through when I can get away from the kids long enough to play N64. The Nintendo 64 was basically known for two things: Mario games and racing games. It feels like these two types make up half of the system’s 296 games. It’s not that many of course, but it really does have a high percentage of racing games. They come in all shapes and sizes too from great to decidedly un-great. Supercross 2000 isn’t a terrible game, but it sure is brainless and lacking suspense. If I manage to review all 296 I don’t think it’s going to rank all that high.


(The only time you'll see other racers)

 

The main problem is that it’s just too easy. One of the major draws of supercross is the environmental effect. The more the racers drive on the course the harder and more dangerous it gets. In Supercross 2000 nothing ever changes. The borders are invisible walls that reach up into infinity and keep you on course and while you can see dirt flying around the tracks never change. Lap five is just the same as lap one. Also, the realistic tracks get a little repetitive. As I said in the real world they would be exciting, but in video game form they could really use some variety. They look the same and have basically the same obstacles. A lap or two on any track in the game makes you an expert. It doesn’t help that the other racers finish in a different order every race. This makes it more realistic again, but it make some wide gaps between first place and all the others. I won a grand prix by 97 points. You should never be able to win a grand prix by 97 points. I could’ve finished in 100th place in the last race and still won. That’s not good.

(I couldn't find any good N64 screenshots. Enjoy this slightly better looking one)

Luckily it plays well enough to keep it out of the red. It may be bland and predictable, but sometimes that’s just the type of game I’m looking for. The controls are fine. It’s very easy to play. It’s not a bad end of the day game when you just want to play something but don’t want to concentrate too hard. I am going to go ahead and beat this one, so it must not be too terrible. I just get sick of it after a few races. I know that’s not much of an endorsement, but for a boring twenty year old racing game that’s the best it’s going to get.

 

This one almost cracked the top 50, but sadly it’s just not as good as Beethoven. At least that game had some variety and more to look at than just dirt. I’d say 51 is a good showing for a game with so very much dirt in it. I have much more fun racing games to look forward to on N64, so I am glad I played one of the most boring ones first. It leaves me with plenty to look forward to.



No comments:

Post a Comment